Epic raises funds to send just over $13,000 needed for Compassion International's Child Survival Program in Chillanes to work each year.
SECURING A CHILD'S OPPORTUNITY AT LIFE
HOW COMPASSION SURVIVAL HELPS
- The first five years of life are a crucial period in the development of a child.
- Babies in poverty are too often the victims of infant mortality. Millions of children around the world die within their first year of life due to a lack of resources, delivery complications, malnutrition, and preventable diseases. This should not be happening.
- Our Survival initiative focuses on promoting development and survival of the most vulnerable babies while also providing education and support for the mother or primary caregiver.
- Compassion Survival reaches thousands of babies and mothers around the world and helps ensure their critical needs are met immediately. In 2018:
- 9,255 births were assisted by our Survival program
- 92.9% of Survival newborns were in the normal weight range.
- 95% of them were born full-term.
Be sure to indicate "Chillanes" in the memo line.
- Compassion Survival helps babies and mothers in poverty by employing four strategies:
- Home-based Care
- Mothers are visited monthly in their homes by a Survival specialist, who offers education in prenatal care and early child-rearing as well as one-on-one biblical mentoring with parents.
- Group-based Learning Activities
- Parents can receive basic education and income-generation training to combat long-term poverty and combat isolation through a supportive community of mothers.
- Advocacy for Moms
- Assistance that provides and secures funding for medical treatments, ensures mothers are treated fairly by local services and arranges for birth attendants to assist mothers during childbirth.
- Survival Centers
- Staff help coordinate outreach and care and offer a safe place for new mothers to learn and grow, all while monitoring and supporting healthy child development.